On May 18 the Jamaica Chamber of Commerce (JCC) will recognise companies who have met their corporate goals and objectives last year but the JCC is declaring in loud tones that this is not merely about patting any company on the back or seeking to inflate corporate ego.
Dianne Ashton-Smith, chairperson for the JCC’s annual awards planning committee contextualising this exercise, says the awards, instead, are about enhancing a company’s reputation, helping employees take pride in their work and instilling confidence in customers about the quality and professionalism of the winning organisation.
It is also about raising the company’s profile within the industry, she reasoned. “Consumers are paying less attention to what companies are saying about their own products or services and paying more attention to what others are saying about company’s products or services,” Ashton-Smith said.
So, under the theme Vision, Inspiration, Growth, the JCC will host this 35th Annual Awards Ceremony at The Jamaica Pegasus hotel, and Ashton-Smith says that they are “thrilled” to be doing so with an outstanding line-up of nominees in each category. “They are, by the simple virtue of their nominations, deemed to be the best,” she said.
… Decorating success
The annual awards are divided into the categories, Best of Chamber Extra Large, Large, Medium and Small.
The 2016 Nominees Are:
- Best of Chamber Extra Large: National Commercial Bank, GraceKennedy Limited, and Red Stripe
- Best of Chamber Large: Guardsman Armoured Limited, Mayberry Investments and Kingston Wharves
- Best of Chamber Medium: Kingston Book Shop, Victoria Mutual Wealth Management and Tastee Limited
- Best of Chamber Small nominees are Creditinfo Jamaica, Iprint Digital and Private Power Operators Limited.
- Sweetie Confectionery, EduFocal Limited, and Point Global Marketing are the nominees for the Entrepreneur Award.
The JCC said that this year, it will be introducing a new category, the Yello Marketing Excellence Award, courtesy of Yello, which will seek to recognise companies that have created outstanding and impactful marketing campaigns and activations during the previous year.
“The Yello Marketing Excellence Award represents an opportunity for JCC members to showcase the full spectrum of their marketing process. All JCC member organisations, regardless of size, sector or industry will be eligible,” stated Ayanna Kirton, marketing manager at Yello Media (Jamaica).
Selecting A Winner From Each Category:
- The overall performance of the companies during the year 2016 will be evaluated. This will include areas such as, financial performance, business growth and innovation.
- The awards will recognise and reward the efforts of the nominated companies and their staff.
In addition to raising awareness, the awards allow companies the following: Differentiation, Visibility, Validation and Testimonials.